Sunday, December 04, 2005

Bill Press, Karel, and me

I listened to KGO this evening. The host Karel, one very politically incorrect gay man interviewed Bill Press about his new book. What a good hour that was. Liberal talk at its best. Bill has a new book out. It titled "How The Republicans Stole Christmas".

The gist of the conversation revolved around the hypocritical conservative movement and the charlatans loudly claiming to bring forth the word of God. In a word, they both agreed as do I, the Falwells of this world spew forth nothing but crap.

To my delight, they even managed to discuss the "pragmatic" need for liberals to engage the country on the issue of religion. I happen to agree! But more than that, I happen to think its way more than pragmatic, it's the honest thing to do. Some 80% of all American's claim to be Christians - that would include the 80% of Democrats. Of course we will talk about our faith. It's as central to our lives as it is to anyone else. The horrible conservative lie that the Democratic Party is a godless party has to STOP.

Anyway, I'm climbing off my soapbox for a while now...I'm right though...even I who do not practice the Christian religion regularly know that Jesus simply would not recognize what the Christian fundamentalist right has done to Christianity. Anyone whose religion is important to them must engage in this conversation.

No comments: