Monday, November 28, 2005

What is a Pragmatic Liberal?

I like the name and it makes a lot of sense to me. But, what exactly is a "pragmatic liberal"? Is it someone who sells out on issues? Or is it someone who can sometimes find a middle ground that might not please a "diehard liberal"?

And, when I find that middle ground, will there be anyone there? I think I will find some moderates from both parties, depending upon the issue. Let's take one example - and it's a big one - the Iraq war. I wholeheartedly believe we were consciously lied to by Bush, we're there under false pretenses, and it's a mess. But, I also feel we have a responsibility to the people there now, and have to find a way out that isn’t' simply to walk away immediately. That brings me to Rep. Murtha - he has single handedly changed the debate, and thank God for him. We're talking about how to get out of Iraq now, including the Republicans. The key is to get a large enough middle ground crowd to control the debate.

So, for me this is one place where I can agree to disagree with those who would pull out today, but also disagree with those who want to "stay the course" - whatever that is. That's my definition of a pragmatic liberal approach. Does it make sense to anyone besides me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total sense, I'm with you

Anonymous said...

We need a large group in the middle that think like this to get involved in the process.

Terri said...

Well, I'm convinced that large group exhists. The question is, how to mobilize it? The idea of using a blog to congregate is good I think, and less fattenig than meeting at Round Table! It's critical, however, that we ultimately do more than just talk to each other. We need outreach in our own groups and towns. Can we do this?

Terri said...

So do I. Glad to see there are some of us out there.