Sunday, November 06, 2005

Talking pro-life

I've just completed an intersting conversation with a regular poster at The Corner. We talked about judges and issues of being pro-life. Just to give you an idea of the conversation, here are several questions I posed: Do you think a person can be pro-choice and anti-abortion at the same time? Do you think a Supreme Court with a majority of Catholics automatically overturns Roe? Can a Catholic judge place Constitutional law above their own religious beliefs?

As long as the converation stayed philosophical we got along just fine. And, of course, I didn't bring up my own beliefs, rather I asked questions about his beliefs. My impression is that a pro-life person will work very hard to use logic as their basis when making the argument. It adds "value" or "weight" to their beliefs. But, underneath it all, it always comes down to a religous belief, not matter how they sugarcoat it with logic and legalisitc arguments.

Are the any completely right or wrong answers?

No comments: